A no-nonsense guide to help readers effectively treat and prevent injuries.
We were not born to run. If we were, injury rates among runners wouldn’t be so high. Of the 12 million runners in the United States, the annual injury rate is close to 50%. This translates into nearly 2 million stress fractures and 4 million sprains/strains. To run injury-free for decades, you have to be strong, coordinated and most of all, well informed.
While various experts will give you advice based on anecdotal information (e.g. wear minimalist shoes, strike on your mid-foot, and never stretch), after looking at the:
- evolution of running
- biomechanics of walking and running, and
- perfect gaits for endurance running, sprinting and injury prevention, this book reviews the scientific literature to show you how to:
- Develop a running form based on your alignment, prior injuries, and desired running speed.
- Design a personalized rehab program you can do at home by evaluating your arch height, flexibility, strength, and coordination.
- Choose a running shoe that is right for you.
- Select the best pre-exercise warm-up routine.
- Treat 25 of the most common running-related injuries with the most up-to-date, scientifically justified treatment prototocols available.
The only book you will need to help you run injury-free for life.